I will always reply to comments and always re-reply to re-replies.

Clicking on most images will enlarge them

Monday, March 25, 2019

POST OFFICE E-BIKES



I see that the Post Office is trialling postal ebikes - an encouraging sign for the future. I hope it takes off. 

But those central low hanging derailleur tension arms look very vulnerable to lumps and bumps. Also if the rider (driver?) comes to an unexpected halt (it quite often can happen in town riding) and they have not changed down the gears, which requires the pedals to be in motion with a derailleur, can you imagine trying to move off in a high gear with that weight behind you - even with electrical assistance.

It would appear far better to install a Shimano Nexus type hub gear in the nearside driven wheel. More compact, much less vulnerable and any gear can be selected whilst stationary.

I want one for winter cycling, but without that large back container (although I suppose it could be converted into a cosy coffee break retreat!

7 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

About 10 years ago a friend of mine almost got the contract to supply London with electric delivery trikes, but they said he wasn't a big enough company. They still make the trikes here in Bath.

gz said...

Better than the golf buggy type vehicles

Avus said...

Tom S and gz:

Shame about your friend's contract loss, Tom.

They seem to be the logical future for local, frequent, small deliveries. Many countries are using them especially in Europe and Australia.
See: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-trikes-get-stamp-of-approval-from-an-post-8g0c3z6sh

Kay Cooke said...

I saw one of our local, electric postal buggies just about come to grief on a piece of loose gravel the other day. They do look a little unstable.

Vita said...

They are just about as cute as can be, and I hope they survive, and possibly get modified to work through bugs. I wonder how long their routes can be. Is that a statement? I feel like I made a statement. I question the use of a question mark after a statement.

Roderick Robinson said...

I could answer the comment about the question mark but I'm fed up being seen as a pedant.

When I bought my bike I sought a hub gear rather than a derailleur, convinced I'd never need fifteen ratios. But the hub gear requires different rear fork ends, in effect a different frame. That meant buying something like a Pashley, several hundred pounds more than I intended to spend, apart from being a much heavier bike. As it was I was able to buy a new derailleur bike for less than £200.

I was right about the multiplicity of ratios. I've never used more than three. I never had the Galibier in mind.

Avus said...

Vita:

Given the capacity of batteries I guess they can only be used on local deliveries, although I note that they have solar panels incorporated in the van top. That might be useful in Italy (where the trikes are from), but UK weather (especially during winter months) will not result in much "sun charging".

RR:
I agree about the number of available ratios with a derailleur gear - especially for general use. With ebikes they are especially irrelevant. Mine has 8 and I only use about 3 of 'em - it is usually left in no.7 for most of my rides. My next ebike will have a Shimano Nexus hub gear, but that will only be possible because it will have a central Bosch crank drive, which will leave the rear wheel hub free of a motor.