I will always reply to comments and always re-reply to re-replies.

Clicking on most images will enlarge them

Monday, April 04, 2022

PIPPA (PIPS)

 


A "Hello" from Pippa (to be known by me as Pips). I have had 6 dogs over my adult life, but my last, Roxy, sadly had to be put down last July.

For some months I was just bereft, but after Christmas the urge came on me once more to get another companion. Never can such be called a "replacement" for a previous dog who can never be  "replaceable". After much searching of rescue centres, where suitable mature small dogs were gone before I could even apply for them, I decided to consult the private "dogs for sale" adverts. Again, most were gone before I could get to them.

At last, a week ago, an advert came up to sell a 6 year old Jack Russell, which was reluctantly for sale by a mature lady who was no longer mobile and was going into a one bedroom council flat where dogs were not allowed. I rang the number immediately and was told that she had had many enquiries (I should think so as many dogs are for sale at £2000/£3000 where this one was priced at £100) but no one had yet arranged to call to see her. I said I would be there by 4.00 pm - it was now 1.00 pm and snowing heavily at that time and accordingly I made the 70 mile round trip to Tunbridge Wells.

I was met by the lady carrying a towel-wrapped dog. "I have just bathed her to show her to you at her best" she said. The animal at once wriggled free of the towel and enthusiastically attached herself to me, tail going at 20 to the dozen. "Oh, she likes you. She has never done that to a stranger before" the surprised owner gasped.

I was sold! My daughter, a confirmed "dog person" has always said, "When the right dog wants you it will find you". Well this one obviously did and has.

She is a Jack Russell terrier in body, but her head is definitely Chihuahua, with her fine skull and pricked up ears. It is an excellent combination though and makes for a good looking dog. She settled in immediately, although would not eat for the first day. No problem, as she is overweight through overfeeding and lack of execise. "I just put a bowlfull of food down for her each morning and she eats it all day when she wants it", said the owner. That will change......

She goes to the vet tomorrow for a check over, vaccination and to get her over long claws clipped (lack of walks on road surfaces).

She is a quick learner and has become my little shadow, following me everywhere - but she can be a tart at times.






10 comments:

Unknown said...

She looks lovely, Im sure you will both bring much happiness to each other.

Dave said...

She's lovely Avus and settled in so well, she certainly chose you.

Yes the price of pups has sky rocketed and the prices charged are eye watering. When I was in hospital a man there bred dogs just for profit and I thought very mercenary, not my type of dog breeder.

Enjoy Pips to the full and thanks again for your comments on my post.

Avus said...

Good to hear from you Dave. I agree with you about breeding dogs for profit. There was an advert during my searches with a 4 year old German Shepherd bitch (my favourite dog - I've had 3 in a row).She seemed cheap these days for £400 and I rang in curiousity. Was she speyed? "No". Was she house trained? "No". has she had puppies" Yes". She was a "brood mare" and when she was 4 the owner was getting rid of her as no longer viable. No doubt beginning over again with one of her pups.

"i made my excuses and left" as the saying goes.

Roderick Robinson said...

My in-laws had a Jack Russell. As a result my father-in-law was required to take a torch out into his back garden before bedtime to search out hedgehogs which the dog liked to savage. I trust you will escape this extra burden. Or perhaps you don't care for hedgehogs.

Avus said...

RR:
Unfortunately we never see hedgehogs around here these days, we used to when we moved here 25 years ago, but badgers are prevalent (I see many dead by the roadside, hit by passing traffic) and they are a known predator of hedgehogs.

I wonder how your father-in-law's dog coped with hedgehogs and their spiky spines?

gz said...

Avis we are going to Pam Possee's funeral at the Barham crem by Hawkinge on the 14th of April at 2.40pm
We have another family funeral there on the 22nd..Colin Friend, a fencer from Upper Hardres

Avus said...

Well - it's a small world, ain't it! If it's the same Pam Possee she took over as Coordinator of Ashford Mediation Service, when I resigned in 2002. I had more or less rejuvenated it in 1998 when it was moribund. I moved on to other things in 2002.

Vita said...

Good for you! I hope you have many happy years together. She's lovely.

Avus said...

Vita:

Good to hear from you. I hope you are well and happy?

Kay Cooke said...

A cute wee dog for sure. I bet she's amusing company.