I will always reply to comments and always re-reply to re-replies.

Clicking on most images will enlarge them

Monday, July 02, 2018

HONDA CD250U - NEW(OLD) BIKE

(click to enlarge)

About 18 months ago I bought a Chinese motorcycle  it was well made and reliable and I have enjoyed riding it. However, these days I am no longer earning and my only income is my pensions. Thus I need to part finance any motorcycle purchase from the sale of the previous one.

Watching trends, I have noticed that the public are still wary of Chinese motorcycles and this is reflected in their heavy depreciation .(Although practically everything these days seems to be made in China, if you carefully examine the pedigree).

So I resolved to sell it whilst it was comparatively new. Good old Ebay! It sold locally and easily at only £300 less than I paid for it. That sum was quite acceptable for 18 months "hire". Classic Japanese bikes are appreciating in value rapidly so I figured that was what I needed.

Now the machine in the image nestles in the garage, alongside my "winter use" Honda SHi 125 scooter. A 1992 model, they were only imported into the UK between 1988 - 92 so is pretty rare here. I scoured the country for one and had this one couriered down from Birmingham after talking to the previous owner about it. Although now 26 years old ("Classic"?) it is in perfect, original condition and has only covered 20,000 miles during its life. It is light (145 kgs) and has an electric start - both essential to me these days. It is also comfortable and very smooth. I bought it for £1,400 and it will sell at a profit when I need the cash to finance my (presumably) eventual invalid buggy!

Our motorcycling family grows. My daughter-in-Oz was always an enthusiastic pillion passenger from the age of about eight


but I abjured her never to ride a bike herself. She always abided by my wish, but her Aussie husband became a "born again biker" and the bug bit. At 50 (plus a little bit) she bought herself a 250 Honda, took training and passed her initial test first time. Then she 'fessed up to me -  tentatively! I was absolutely delighted.



Now she enjoys runs out in the hinterland of Perth, Western Australia with her husband, searching for the usual motor cyclist coffee stops.





12 comments:

Vita said...

Mods and Rockers, here we go again! I've always been impressed by your daughter (and her husband), and now even more so. Did she get to learn on her own bike? Here they make you learn on school-owned bikes. She seems to be a chip off the old block.

You're a good shopper. I'm glad your Chinese bike worked out so well for you, and you didn't loose your shirt. Honda's are very popular here as collector bikes over other Japanese makes, at least with the collectors I know. Probably because Hondas are well designed, well made, good looking, durable, useful, fun...like your new old Honda.

Avus said...

Vita:

Initially she was on the school bike, but progressed (and took her test) to her own Honda CB250. In fact the school bike is a Honda CD250U just like mine. Hers is a single, but she prefers the smoothness of the twin and may look around for one (they are pretty prolific in Oz and also the 250 Nighthawk uses the same engine).

Her husband lost his trombone when their house burnt down in a bushfire. They are now in a brand new house on the same site in the forests in the hills behind Perth. (Got a good insurance pay out but decided they liked it so much there they were staying). He has not replaced it yet though. Golf and motorcycling seem to have taken over!

Roderick Robinson said...

HHB did better than me, but I'd expect no less of her.

Some time in the early fifties, totally untutored, I wandered over to Keighley on my rigid back-end BSA 350, presented myself, and the examiner went off to observe me privily from the side streets.

My mind was miles away, almost certainly dreaming of girls, and I remember wondering why anyone would have thought fit to erect a scarecrow in such an urban setting. A scarecrow with an angry look. Ah yes, I had failed to enact my emergency stop.

My Grannie used to irritate me with her oft-repeated: Needs must when the devil drives. For ages I had no idea what this meant and clarity eventually arrived by the back door, privily you might say. In Keighley lay the means for accommodating "another" on the pillion. Perhaps one of those distant refuseniks I had so far only dreamed of.

As it was, second go, I saw the examiner before he saw me. A mere twitch of his hand and I pulled up a full 25 yards short of where he stood. Grumpily he accorded me a tiny booklet bound in red linen and the promise of warm bodies.

None of that kind of amateurism with HHB, dressed stylishly and carrying a helmet which cost the equivalent of three 350 BSAs. In wishing her the joys of the open road I am aware of what that means - eastwards - to a resident of Perth. Not so much open road, more like open continent.

"Off to see some pals in Alice, Dad. Given I'd be halfway there I'll be moseying on to Darwin See Mum doesn't chuck away the Fireblade catalogue."

Vita said...

Avus: Wow! In awe of Her and Him. Sounds like they're successfully moving on with their lives. Is H2 as good at the m/c as Sue? Oh, yes. A twin smoother than a single sounds like even more fun.

Avus said...

RR:

Daughter is extending her rides, with enjoyment. (Latest was a day out with other half to York, which, in case you have not been there is an interesting "old" WA town with a well known motor Museum.

A motorcycle test tale of the old days. Friend was riding a BSA Bantam for his test, passing round the usual circuit to be observed "privily" by the examiner. He had been warned that this gent would leap out in front of him at some time.

As he came around for another "pass" he saw said examiner being lifted from ground by ANOTHER BSA Bantam rider, whose bike lay on its side nearby. Yes the examiner had jumped out on a completely innocent passing learner who, like you, was probably dreaming of contact with "warm bodies" (but not that examiners!)

I suppose it was an easy mistake to make. I wonder if he continued to examine?

Avus said...

Vita:

H2 started on a 150 scooter, progressed to a 500 twin Honda and has recently got a 1200 Suzuki four. His excuse for the large number of cubes is that it is quicker to overtake the long "road trains" (trucks with up to 4 long trailers behind) which proliferate across the long extra urban roads of Oz. They ain't dualled either, just dusty shoulders on each side and the trains toddle along at about 50 mph so take a while to get by, which can be dodgy if another is coming the other way!

He says you want to be overtaking wide if following ones loaded with live sheep - the excrement can really hit the fan (or bike) as you go by!

He has really got the bug. Coming to UK next year, hiring a bike, going to the Isle of Man TT and camping there for a fortnight. Daughter is coming too and staying here. I have said she can borrow my bike for short country runs (NOT to the Isle of Man!)

Vita said...

Yikes! That Isle of Man stuff is crazy scary! They go WAY too fast I think. Of course, I'm not consulted, but we watch the videos, and I can have all the opinions I want. Glad dear Daughter will be with you. Sounds great for all. M/C people here still talk about going. A fortnight! It was crowded 40 years ago, I've heard.

We had a Suzuki 1100S for a while, (probably in 1981) and it's main feature was FAST. We went way too fast, but it was great for passing and lots of fun. We passed motorhomes on twisty windy roads. HH told me the 4s were even faster. We were always having to buy new rear tires for ours. We were never stuck behind a sheep truck, but cattle trucks, yes. Ugh! Hay trucks were also blights, since HH back then had hay fever.

The local Honda shop here just closed. Empty. No M/C shops in town at all.

Tom Stephenson said...

Is that a Scott Squirrel you daughter is standing next to? Years ago, the park keepers in Bath had them, and glided about shouting at children.

Avus said...

Tom Stephenson:

Welcome to my blog. Nice to "see" a new face in the now, arid desert of the blogosphere. A relation in Australia recommended a visit to your blog as your "Doggerland" post related to my interests. I had to find you on the internet since your blog appears to be private.


Bike near my daughter is a Honda CD250U. Unfortunately Scotts disappeared here in the mid '50s

gz said...

I wondered why HHB had stopped blogging..pass on my greetings please..glad to see she is well

Avus said...

gz:

Yes, a pity that she no longer blogs, but she has joined the "dark side" and uses Instagram (wash out my mouth!) for family communications.

Tom Stephenson said...

Ah. An early Honda. My blog shouldn't be private. I'll check later.